Friday, February 1, 2008

For Men's Eyes Only

It's February and we all know what THAT means--a cruel reminder that no matter WHAT we do, there's NO WAY we can really succeed in gift giving on Valentine's Day. Believe me, I've tried. And the women are gracious about it, but deep down, we know we've failed. . . a LOT.

PLUS, the thing is we all know that we'll crash again this year, but inVARIABLY the women in our lives will protest that point.

Don't you agree, though, that IF you give chocolates, they'll think, "Thanks! (but that's fattening and he should KNOW I'm trying to lose" and if you give a Sweeeet Card, it's, "Aaah, this is so wonderful. Thank you! (is THIS IT? That's ALL he's giving this year? What about the CHOColate??)."

And flowers? Typical. Same ol'. (Plus, I always feel instantly stupid when I'm in a flower shop. I admit, I don't know what I'm doing but ALL the women behind the counter DO and I KNOW they giggle when I'm gone.)

The torment goes on and on, so WHY do we HAVE this Annual Beating? It's V-deMoralizing!

And what do they say back to us (and it's not that I don't appreciate it, it's just that I don't belieeeeve it): "Anything you do will be fine. A poem. A card. Just the thought."

But, see, all the while, they're on AutoScope for what other women are getting, and, frankly, it's ALWAYS better than what they got.

So, I'm kinda in to giving up. But only after I get the flowers, chocolate, card, dinner, jewelry, time devoted to doing anything around the home she wants me to AND a poem. Let me know how YOU fare this year.

PS - How many women read this?? (Did YOU not READ the headline? YOU don't have MEN's eyes; yours are Gorgeous! This is kinda sensitive private stuff.) OK, as long as you've read this far, then we HAVE to hear YOUR side of it, 'cause, frankly, we're failing over here. Throw a lifeline. Something.

9 comments:

vallarsen49 said...

Anything you do will be fine. A poem. A card. Just the thought.

-Val

Anonymous said...

I have to say Tim, I agree with Val. I personally like to get mushy cards that read what he just can't seem to say. It IS the thought that counts.

Tatyana A. said...

Personally, I'm not a huge V-day kinda gal. If anything, it's more about the evening and being together, not the gifts. Really.

Anonymous said...

I think Valentine's Day is a made up holiday invented by the candy, flower and card companies of the world. I think an anniversary is a better day to celebrate your admiration of your sweetie. We have made the day more about our children because they get really excited about it. We always have chocolate fondue for dessert that night.

Anonymous said...

WHATEVER! It's all about the gifts, gifts, gifts. The bigger the better. Go all out. :-) Just kidding. V-day is hard. But one thing I think NEVER fails is scheduling a massage for her, let her know that she has an "appointment" at a certain time, then just give her the address. I repeat-Massages (or facial or pedicure, you pick) NEVER fail.

Jamie said...

I agree with you, here, but it's because the world of the chick flicks Sleepless in Seattle-ish movies made it an impossible holiday for normal men. Of course we expect flowers, dinner, chocolate, jewelry. But what men don't know is that we expect poems, sonnets, paris-like surprises that even we wouldn't be able to think of. Blame it on Tom Hanks.

Clay Brown said...

Gentlemen of the World, Have you read these other comments??? This is my point. It's hopeless. Why do we try?

Anonymous said...

to add to Jamie's comment above, let me just say (and I know you're going to think this is just myopic male insight):
Women want everything and then when they have it, they don't want it anymore. or do they? well maybe... but not packaged in quite that way. We (the Y chromosome)are confused because they're confused. What is happiness and pure satisfaction one day for our lovely ladies, is a source of confusion and guilt the next.

Natalie said...

Valentine's is tricky...but I think you win by just showing your love in one new small way that day. I don't think it needs to be big, just different from every other day of affection. Thoughtful sentiments always work!

And Happy Anniversary today!! 28 years of marriage has never looked better!!