Sunday, April 27, 2008

Cell Off

Yesterday I accidentally left my cell home but didn't realize it for hours. When I found out, I panicked. Then I felt a freedom because that meant no phone. No emails. No texts.

I hoped I hadn't missed something urgent, but I instantly felt freedom from the cell attachment I have had nearly every minute of every day. Honestly, I hadn't felt that kind of freedom for years (like the first time you can drive without anybody else. Is that America at its best?).


How long could you go without your cell? Honestly?

3 comments:

vallarsen49 said...

I think I could go forever without it. I'd be sacrificing a serious social mechanism BUT if I really needed to I could just leave it home always and treat it like a house phone. Having NO phone EVER... I could do it but I love talking to my mom too much to never have the option if it's available. Is this without internet too? That may be something really worth exploring.

I met a guy once who would spend one month every year with nothing. He'd go to some remote place in mexico or new zealand or something, with some food and water. Not spend anything, use a phone or anything. He started taking a credit card just in case. But doesn't that sound AWESOME!! I would love to do that sometime.

Linda Liebhardt said...

This may astound you, but I do not have a cell phone. I had one once for about 2 months, but then my son came home from his mission and I figured he needed it more than I did. In the two months, I'd barely learned how to use it, much less become attached. Mike and I are kind of anti-phone people. Our kids, however, are NOT. I did send a picture, once, on my son's phone. It was a great moment of triumph for me.

Steph H said...

It's funny because in my single days my phone was the life-line to my social world. It wasn't enough to have it in my purse, I had to have it in my POCKET so that the MINUTE anyone contacted me I'd know.

Nowadays it's still a nice tool to have nearby but I seem to care less and less about checking it continuously. The other day it died and I felt the freedom.