Sunday, December 30, 2007

Caring

For the record, it's "couldn't care less" not "could care less."

The point is that a person cares so little that they couldn't care ANY less than they already DO. It's that low. Sunken down. Rock bottom. Basement level. Can go no lower on the CL (Caring Level).

So the phrase would be, "She's so self-absorbed, I couldn't care less where she goes on vacation," you know, or something passionate like that. Because, truly, if you're going to BE passionate, you deserve to get it right, right? But you probably couldn't care less.

5 comments:

Kelly Jean said...

AMEN!!! It bugs me when people say that phrase wrong. Thanks for uhh, clearin that up for those who need to hear the correct way of saying the phrase. Let's get a column about that in the Trib.

Michael said...

Or maybe 'I could care less' but it's not worth the effort. The word 'less,' of course, would have to have degress of lessness but this is where sloth comes in. Now I know sloth ia one of the Seven Deadlies and we really shouldn't go there and I should probably make a New Year's Resolution about it but for now, here we are. To care less would require effort, an application of determination, focus and, often, an iron will. So, there are things I could care less about but it's not worth the time, effort or bother. We can talk about sloth later. Right now, I could care less. But I probably won't.

Anonymous said...

I couldn't care more about this topic. About time someone addressed it.

Clay Brown said...

Levi E, your comment reminds me you are a uniquely studious rebel who jams with his band. For that, I am impressed.

Steph H said...

Thank goodness you posted this and helped us avoid an SD (social disaster).