Thursday, December 13, 2007

What You Had

A friend said, "While you work to give your kids everything you didn't have, don't forget to give them things you did have." (You know, a work ethic, sense of accountability--all those things our more stern upbringing might have taught us.)

Do you think city life is far too easy for kids these days and that they don't learn to work as hard?

Instead they're getting paid for chores, for mowing their own lawn, for making their beds, keeping their rooms clean--even for school grades? Is that a good thing? If so, can all parents in a neighborhood get on the same payment system so kids don't pit us against the others?

2 comments:

Natalie said...

WOW! Look at you! You are a blogging machine! I knew you'd turn pro! I feel like a proud mama...they grow up so fast! :)

Sure - kids have the cush life. My kids get rewarded just for finishing their vegetables! However as a child, I was one of those "allowance earners" and yet, being the oldest, I was more the guinea pig in that department...I think compared to my friends' weekly income, I learned the value of hard work!

vallarsen49 said...

You know I never got an allowance. My parents tried once but none of us really needed money. I couldn't get to the mall without mom's car and as long as she was with me why not sucker her in to buying what I really wanted. Playing music was the work- its just now paying off. We hated it...now we all love. I don't know that I'll do allowance in my home... I don't know how it works :S