Thursday, December 13, 2007

To Judge?

I interviewed a renowned back doctor for a brochure I was assigned to write. Out of the blue, he stopped and said, "I've learned never to judge a person when they're sick."

I thought, he must have had numerous situations where patients acted erratically and concluded it wasn't fair to pass judgment because they weren't themselves then.

I've extended the advice to include those who might be sick emotionally, socially, spiritually, financially, etc. It's not easy but it calms the judgment process and makes for better conclusions. Have you found the same?

2 comments:

Steph H said...

I've loved this advice from you. I wish we had remembered to include it in your 50th book. What I love about you is that you not only hear people say wise things, but you REMEMBER them and incorporate them in your life. That's the real success.

Anonymous said...

That seems an interesting comment- would that imply that he's fine judging others when they're not sick? haha- and how do you decide that someone's well without using your best JUDGEment... oo what now